Saturday, February 28, 2009

Last weekend at Andrew's

All the construction, installation, and inspections are done, and we are now almost ready to move back into The Cottage. Anyone who has remodeled knows that dust and debris end up everywhere. It has taken about 2 days to get the house livable again. Thank goodness for ShopVacs!
A great deal of sweeping, dusting, vacuuming, and mopping has gone on since Thursday, and the house is looking good! The linens were all laundered and hung out on the clothesline in the sunny breeze all day. The drapes are all at the dry cleaner's being cleaned and pressed, too.


Because I know that I have a tendency to pass over the tedious items on the to-do list, and I'm afraid they may never get finished, I am determined to complete a few things before we move back in. So, this weekend, Andrew finished sanding and clear-coating the baseboards.


We should be able to install the baseboards tomorrow.
Meanwhile, I filled in the dozens and dozens of nail holes in the ceiling trim molding in both rooms.


(It may seem like a small thing, but the difference between seeing shiny nail heads way up there, and then not seeing them, is HUGE)! I discovered about 2 dozen more holes that I had not previously noticed, a single row, all the way across the kitchen, once I was up on the ladder. I honestly felt a little sick when I saw that neat little row of holes, spaced 2-4 inches apart. My fingers ache from rolling, mixing, and pressing in little balls of waxy wood filler, and I now have some weird ladder-induced foot pain syndrome. But, every nail hole is filled, with 2 coats of clear poly over them, too.
We took a break this afternoon for lunch and a trip to the dump (here's Andrew looking forward to going to the dump),




We cleared out everything but the old dishwasher, which we'll donate to Habitat, if we can't sell it on Craigslist.
We also moved the dining table back into the kitchen. It's so nice to have it back! And it will be nice to finally be back home again.

3 comments:

Leif Laif Life said...

OH, how exciting! I can't wait to see the "finished product" post of your house!

I love those bathrooms - that shower in the black and white one is wonderful, and I like the wall paper, too! You're like me - I take photos of all the old unrestored houses we visit - for inspiration down the road when we build or renovate our "dream home!"

Anonymous said...

Love the pic of Andrew looking dumpfounded. I can't believe it's all over finally.

Beth said...

Andrew looks tickled pink to go to the dump! :)