Saturday, January 3, 2009

Got sheetrock!

With the holidays, the work has been sporadic at The Cottage, but we were surprised to find J working today (Saturday). It seems the Gas Inspector showed up yesterday, and signed off on the gas line that will supply our new range. Since the electrical, plumbing, and gas rough-ins have all passed inspection, the gaping hole in our kitchen floor could therefore be covered. So today J nailed the subfloor back in place, and installed the last small section of Durock on the kitchen floor.


See? No hole!

The gas line installer will still need to come back next week, remove the pressure gauge that is still attached to our gas pipe for inspection purposes, and install the gas shutoff valve that is required by our local building code.

J informed us today that he has been notified that he must appear on Monday for jury duty. How lovely! We are, of course, hoping that he doesn't get selected, or that the trial doesn't last long. In the meantime, next week J's crew should be able to finish the gas line, install the cypress beadboard ceiling in the bathroom, and plaster the rough drywall in both rooms.


The latest view of the bathroom, with the plumbing rough-in for the console sink, and Durock where the subway tile wainscoting will be soon:


Bathroom floor, with Durock in place on the floor, ready to be tiled!

Since the walls should be paint-ready within a week, Andrew and I are busy looking at paint chips, in the always-difficult quest to select a paint color for the kitchen.

I'm not sure I even remember what our new cabinets look like at this point, but we'll pick something soon, and hope we don't end up repainting later.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ah paint, always a hard thing to pick because the sample is so small. Sure looks different all over the wall. I suggest doing what I didn't. buy a sample of each possibility and pain a large square on the wall to decide what it looks like in your lighting, at night in your lighting and with the rest of the colors you have in your house. I am living with the wrong decision going on year 3 and hoping my husband takes pity on me and will repaint the gigantic living, dining, kitchen, hallway for me.

G8rAlly said...

Exactly the conversation I just had with our contractor! Since the walls will be plastered over,he suggested we get some paint samples, and just paint away, since it will all be covered up, anyway. I like Sherwin Williams's interactive feature on their website (like their paint, too). It lets you pick a room layout and add paint colors, one wall at a time. I did that for my living room, and it was very helpful.

2p said...

Oooooh, how fun! I'm going to try the SW website since I need to pick some colors for our new house. If I don't do it before we move it, the house will be eggshell for eternity. BTW, I love your new blog background and I just changed mine with the same website. Good find! (except I took out the advertisement in the top left corner.)

Anonymous said...

I like the SW program too, but I think I like Benjamin Moore paint better. That is what we usually use. probably because I have several of their color charts all over the place.

G8rAlly said...

Thanks, 2P! I got my resident Computer Expert to show me which HTML to edit out, and voila, it's gone!