Saturday, January 24, 2009

Raindrop or Cay? Another weekend of painting.


Today we spent our day sanding the cypress ceiling in the bathroom prior to applying clear-coat. Unfortunately, we found several splintered areas that needed to be glued down and re-sanded, and we never got around to applying the finish today.

Funny, other than lots of pencil marks, the beadboard in the kitchen had virtually no imperfections. The bathroom ceiling seems to have gotten all of the defects. The beadboard should all look fine after the glue dries completely and we finish sanding and give it two coats of satin polyurethane.
Next, Andrew started priming the bathroom walls. He worked on the cutting-in while I cleaned out, wiped down, and caulked the bathroom's storage cubby, which is still an icky peach color courtesy of a past makeover by the PHO. With the toilet out of the room, there won't be a better time to tackle this job.

Once the new toilet is installed, it will next to impossible to reach back into this tiny cramped space to paint (which is why it's still peach, even though I painted the rest of the room a few years ago). The gaps between the homemade shelves and surrounding walls have now been filled in nicely with caulk. It will probably take 2, maybe 3 coats of primer to cover the old glossy peach paint, but no doubt it will look much better once it gets a long-overdue repainting.

While we took a break for lunch, we visited our local paint store and picked up a couple of sample quarts of paint to help us decide on a color for the bathroom walls. Rather than applying paint samples directly onto our freshly-primed walls, we primed 2 small drywall scraps, so that we can paint them instead. Have I mentioned that painting has never been one of my favorite home improvement chores?

So, tomorrow we will finish the touch-up sanding of the cypress beadboard, then clear-coat the ceiling, finish priming the storage cubby, try out our paint samples on the drywall scraps, and maybe pick a color and start painting the walls!

Our 2 paint samples (Raindrop on the left, and Cay on the right) look almost identical in the photo, but one is actually a bit greener than the other.

These 2 colors were the final contenders we chose from several paint sample cards we compared by taping them to the walls and viewing under different lighting conditions.

I doubt "drop light," or "flashlight" conditions will influence our choice, but we have seen the various paint samples under those, as well.

Which one will be the winner, Raindrop or Cay? Stay tuned!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't wait to see. I painted Nicholas room blue in Miami. Unfortunately, I picked it from the house we were leaving and not the one we moved into so it was really supposed to be more of a mint green. I didn't have the heart to ask his dad to repaint so that is how it stayed. I hate picking paint, I usually pick it from someone else's wall. Sometimes I get lucky and end up with one I like. Sometimes I just "learn" to like it.

G8rAlly said...

It is hard to pick the perfect color. The bathroom's so small, I figure we can always repaint if we don't like it. Except for the cubby...it will just have to stay whatever color it ends up.

Caryn said...

I haven't had a chance to check the blog in a bit and WOW, everything looks so great! I love the bathroom tile, it suits your house so perfectly. And seeded glass has long been a favorite of mine... I wish I had though of the pullout pantry thing. That would've helped me a lot. And friendly yellow HAS to be a great color, it sounds so, well, friendly!