Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Bathroom tile begins, and the kitchen gets painted.

Today, our tile guy, Carlos, laid the hex tile in the bathroom. He was still at The Cottage working when we arrived at 7 p.m., poor thing. His helper was desperate to clean up and leave, after working for hours, since The Cottage is currently toiletless. Carlos did a great job! The new tile is completely level. I can't wait to see it after he grouts tomorrow. He'll be back on Thursday to start on the kitchen floor tile.
Bathroom floor, leveled:

The tile, after being set, before grout:

Closeup, pre-grout"

Tonight, we spent the second of two evenings painting the kitchen walls (or at least those parts of the walls that won't be concealed behind cabinets) before the new custom cabinets are installed. I really liked the paint color, "Friendly Yellow," on the paint chip, but was a little apprehensive at its yellowness when we first began painting.
Kitchen, after one coat of paint:

Andrew kept reassuring me, and since I tend to think that it's not fair to judge a paint color until it's completely dry, we plugged along and got as much painting done on Monday night as we possibly could. Today, after seeing the fully dried paint, I really like it.
Second coat, still wet:

I have yet to see it in natural daylight, or, of course, in the fluorescent glow of the new eco-friendly CFL fixtures.
I think the warm yellow will be a nice contrast for the cool pale blue tile and terra cotta floor tiles.

Tomorrow, cabinets get delivered and installed!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like the yellow. Whenever I paint a white wall with color I think oh no. After it's up a while I think I should have gone darker, lol. (Except for my living room where I think oops wrong color.)
It's coming along nicely!

Leif Laif Life said...

Perty!