Friday, December 5, 2008

Replacing the siding, and a new patio

About 3 years ago, I attempted to get bids from 3 local contractors to have The Cottage's old 1950's shingle siding replaced with Hardiboard lap siding. I say attempted because of the 3 contractors I asked to give me a bid, I actually received a bid from only one. Contractor #1 never called back after promising to call me and arrange a quote. The second one did show up, got all the info he needed, and then, because he's a total jackass, NEVER GOT BACK TO ME. Though he had assured me that he had renovated a lot of older homes, while he was at my house, #2 continually rolled his eyes and sniffed at the supposedly "not up to code" state of apparently every aspect of my house. (Never mind that all he was supposed to do was give a quote for replacing exterior siding, not rebuilding the whole freaking house). He was strangely obsessed with my electrical mast. He couldn't stop talking about it, and how it was "supposed to be 3 feet above the roof line," even after I pointed out that every other house in my neighborhood had a mast exactly like mine, and nobody from Code Enforcement or the local utility company seemed bothered. What a creepy slimeball. Number 2 was such a prick, I never called him when I never got the fax that he never sent!

The third contractor was nice enough. He came out when scheduled, took measurements, and promptly got back to me with a quote for $17,000. Yes, $17,000. To put Hardiboard on my 1300 square foot home. His quote was so difficult to interpret, and his explanation of it so convoluted that even he had a hard time justifying the cost breakdown. Completely frustrated, I gave up, figuring there had to be a better (and cheaper) way.



Over the next 6 months I gradually, one shingle at a time, removed the old siding. The Cottage stood bare, exposed down to its original 8" wooden lap siding. In January 2006, I found myself facing certain unemployment the following June after I learned my contract would not be renewed. Leaving that job was a mixed blessing, in many ways. The cash payout from the 350+ hours of unused vacation time that I had accrued helped ease the transition into indefinite unemployment, and ultimately also financed the next renovation: putting up the Hardiboard myself, with the help of a good friend.

It was July when we started, and absurdly hot. We had spent time researching the project, down to the type of saw blade, and whether to use screws or nails. (The James Hardie Corporation's website has excellent, very detailed instructions. The local building code is also online). Early on, we made a solemn pact that we would work for only 2 hours, 2-1/2 at the most each day, then knock off before it got really hot. (I wanted us to still be friends after the job was completed, after all). We worked from 0730 to 1000, Monday through Friday. It took us 8 weeks to finish (including a one-week hiatus when I took off to New York City with a friend). Total cost for the two of us to replace the Hardiboard ourselves: $1500. Yes, $1500. Hence, the trip to NYC with my friend.

Here are some before and after photos:


An early photo (2002) of the exterior living room/master bedroom area, soon after I bought The Cottage, during the metal re-roof. This is an awful picture that makes it look like a haunted house. The little twig in the foreground is now a 12-foot tall Ponkan (tangerine) tree! Time sure flies.


Another view of the same part of the house, soon after the roof was replaced (2003):


And in July 2006, while Hardiboard was being installed:


A little further along in the process:


And after the new gable vents were installed:


During the painting phase. Notice that there was no landscaping where the ladders stood.


Another view of exterior master bedroom, circa 2002:


And the same view, with new siding, new gable vent, and freshly painted, in 2006. Rain gutters and a rain barrel were also in place by then:


More recently, after landscaping:


Some views of the front of house/front porch, with new Hardiboard:


The workshop, during the Hardiboard installation. I had also started to prepare to build a small patio outside the workshop, a place that previously was swampy and full of weeds:


The dirt all smoothed, and the frame ready for leveling the sand:


Simultaneously building the patio, and putting up siding:


The pavers laid in place on the leveled sand base. The workshop got a fancy new door, too:

Patio completed:


All painted, landscaped, and with compost spread and grass plugs planted:

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are truly amazing. I love your cottage.

Joanne said...

That is incredible! Your siding looks amazing. I'm beginning to discover just how much (some) contractors will screw you over pricing; and, because our budget is tight, I'm also discovering just how many projects I can do myself!