Sunday, December 14, 2008

Belated Thanksgiving Eve photos

We spent a lovely Thanksgiving Day in Cedar Key, FL with Andrew's family. Everyone helped out by cooking and bringing something. Andrew's sister, Caryn, suggested a stuffing recipe from Epicurious. It's a family favorite (Andrew remembered it, so I knew it must be good). With recipe in hand, we started cooking:

All good stuffing starts with bread cubes. Andrew cubed 3 loaves.
Next came the sauteed veggies: chopped celery, red onion, garlic, red peppers, and fresh oregano and rosemary from The Cottage's garden.



Next, we added raisins and toasted pine nuts. The aroma was wonderful!

We brought two other dishes, roasted winter vegetables and mashed rutabagas (one of my family's favorites. To me, it just isn't Thanksgiving without them). We spent hours in the kitchen. I had never seen Andrew cook before, although he has a beautiful kitchen that is incredibly well-stocked with gadgets, utensils, cookware, and mixing bowls- what a surprise! Thanks to Mom and the girls.
Andrew helped with prepping the veggies:


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That stuffing looks delicious. i don't think I have ever had stuffing that wasn't made with those tiny packaged cubes of bread. Probably why I don't like it.

Leif Laif Life said...

I meant to email you, but forgot, of course: That stuffing was DEE-lish! I'd actually never had it before, since I haven't been here for Thanksgiving in eons, and it was a relatively new addition to the family Thanksgiving meal...but ya'll did a wow job on it! Super yummy! :) The pictures of the creation of said stuffing are fun!